Our fave color trend to come out of 2020? The ’90s color revival of chunky highlights and bold money pieces galore! Here’s why we love it: This high-contrast look is a go-to for the client who wants to maintain their dark base but add a pop of brightness. Or maybe it’s just giving us all of the nostalgic feels—back to the days of Spice Girls, Blockbuster Videos and Winona Ryder movies? OK, back to the hair.
Here’s how Wesley Palmer (@wesdoeshair) created this dreamy money piece bob on a grown-out rooty blonde. Tap the beaker for the formulas and scroll for the pricing and how-to!
Face-Framing Paint: $50
Total Cost: $250
Formula A (base):
TIGI® Professional copyright©olour Gloss 80g 6/0 + 20g 6/3 + 150g 20-volume developer
Formula B (money piece):
TIGI copyright©olour True Light Freestyle Blonder Clay Lightener + 40-volume developer
Formula C (money piece toner):
TIGI copyright©olour Gloss 20g 10/02 + 30g 8.5-volume developer
2. Start by applying Formula A from roots to ends, leaving the front hairline out.
3. Around the face frame, apply Formula A as a root touch-up only.
4. While the base color processes, hand paint the money piece with Formula B.
5. Process for 35 minutes or until desired lift is achieved, then rinse.
6. Tone the money piece with Formula C. Process, then rinse and wash with TIGI Custom Care™ Repair Shampoo and Conditioner.
7. Wes’s client was trying to grow out her hair, so he trimmed with dry-cutting techniques to clean up the ends using ARC™ Scissors 6″ Paragon II.